[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 22 06:31:59 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 04:45 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> By "improve clarity", you mean "compile an accurate list of all
> copyright holders"? Why is this useful information?
>
> Sure, we could also "improve clarity" by compiling a list of all the
> cities in the world where some OpenStack code has been authored ... but
> *why*?

Mark, I haven't asked for things to be 100% accurate. I know that's not
possible. I've asked that we make sure headers aren't 90% wrong, which
was my gut feeling when writing the trove debian/copyright file and
seeing only HP in the headers...

> The key thing for Debian to understand is that all OpenStack
> contributors agree to license their code under the terms of the Apache
> License. I don't see why a list of copyright holders would clarify the
> licensing situation any further.
>
> Mark.

Well, I am just willing to write things correctly, and I have been in
situations where it wasn't possible easily, and wanted to fix this once
and for all, by opening the topic in this list. It is as simple as that.
There's no need for the discussion to go *that* far. Nobody is
discussing the fact that OpenStack is free software.

Thomas