[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 21 18:12:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-22 01:45:13 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> The main problem I was facing was that troveclient has a few files
> stating that HP was the sole copyright holder, when it clearly was
> not (since I have discussed a bit with some the dev team in
> Portland, IIRC some of them are from Rackspace...).
[...]
> So, for me, the clean and easy way to fix this problem is to have a
> simple copyright-holder.txt file, containing a list of company or
> individuals. It doesn't really mater if some entities forget to write
> themselves in. After all, that'd be their fault, no?
[...]

I don't really see the difference here at all. You propose going
from...

    A) copyright claims in headers of files, which contributors
    might forget to update

...to...

    B) copyright claims in one file, which contributors might also
    forget to update

I don't understand how adding a file full of duplicate information
to each project is going to solve your actual concern. We could
automatically generate it based on the contents of the copyright
headers in other files (in which case it will be no more accurate
than they are), or we could manually maintain it using the same
mechanisms we do for the contents of the copyright headers in other
files (resulting in at best the same end result, and at worst a new
conflicting set of data to reconcile).
--
Jeremy Stanley