[openstack-dev] Towards OpenStack Disaster Recovery

Ronen Kat RONENKAT at il.ibm.com
Mon Oct 21 18:05:26 UTC 2013

From:	Caitlin Bestler <caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com>
To:	openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
Date:	21/10/2013 06:55 PM
Subject:	Re: [openstack-dev] Towards OpenStack Disaster Recovery

>> Hi all,
>> We (IBM and Red Hat) have begun discussions on enabling Disaster
Recovery
>> (DR) in OpenStack.
>>
>> We have created a wiki page with our initial thoughts:
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DisasterRecovery
>> We encourage others to contribute to this wiki.
>>
>What wasn't clear to me on first read is what the intended scope is.
>Exactly what is being failed over? An entire multi-tenant data-center?
>Specific tenants? Or specific enumerated sets of VMs for one tenant?

The exact set could be from a single VM (with its associated resources:
images, volumes, etc) to a set of entities associated with a user.
The data-center itself (including its metadata and configuration) is
consider the equivalent of the "hardware" - in case of disaster, you
recover "what is running", not the infrastructure.

Thanks for pointing out the scope should be emphasized at the top...

Regards,
Ronen I. Kat, PhD
Storage Research
IBM Research - Haifa