[openstack-dev] [Trove] Testing of new service types support

Tim Simpson tim.simpson at rackspace.com
Mon Oct 21 16:01:26 UTC 2013

Hi Illia,

You're correct; until the work on establishing datastore types and versions as a first class Trove concept is finished, which will hopefully be soon (see Andrey Shestakov's pull request), testing non-MySQL datastore types will be problematic.

A short term, fake-mode only solution could be accomplished fairly quickly as follows: run the fake mode tests a third time in Tox with a new configuration which allows for MongoDB.

If you look at tox.ini, you'll see that the integration tests run in fake mode twice already:

>> {envpython} run_tests.py
>> {envpython} run_tests.py --test-config=etc/tests/xml.localhost.test.conf

The second invocation causes the trove-client to be used in XML mode, effectively testing the XML client.

(Tangent: currently running the tests twice takes some time, even in fake mode- however it will cost far less time once the following pull request is merged: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52490/)

If you look at run_tests.py, you'll see that on line 104 it accepts a trove config file. If the run_tests.py script is updated to allow this value to be specified optionally via the command line, you could create a variation on "etc/trove/trove.conf.test" which specifies MongoDB. You'd then invoke run_tests.py with a "--group=" argument to run some subset of the tests support by the current Mongo DB code in fake mode.

Of course, this will do nothing to test the guest agent changes or confirm that the end to end system actually works, but it could help test a lot of incidental API and infrastructure database code.

As for real mode tests, I think we should wait until the datastore type / version code is finished, at which point I know we'll all be eager to add additional tests for these new datastores. Of course in the short term it should be possible for you to change the code locally to build a Mongo DB image as well as a Trove config file to support this and then just run some subset of tests that works with Mongo.

Thanks,

Tim