[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 12:30:31 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2013-10-20 20:57:56 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > Well, good luck finding all the copyright holders for such a large and
> > old project. It's not really practical in this case, unfortunately.
>
> To a great extent, the same goes for projects a quarter the size and
> age of the Linux kernel--doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix that
> though. In our case, we at least have names and (possibly stale)
> contact information for all the people who claim to have authored
> contributions, so I suspect we're in a somewhat better position to
> do something about it.

Although we may be in a better position to find all the copyright owners,
it appears that many projects skirt the issue by making the copyright owner
an open ended group:

http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs//main/p/python-django/python-django_1.5.4-1_copyright

http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs//main/r/rails-4.0/rails-4.0_4.0.0+dfsg-1_copyright
(I
don't think one person actually owns the copyright on rails)