[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Oct 20 13:00:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-20 22:20:25 +1300 (+1300), Robert Collins wrote:
[...]
> OTOH registering one's nominated copyright holder on the first
> patch to a repository is probably a sustainable overhead. And it's
> probably amenable to automation - a commit hook could do it locally
> and a check job can assert that it's done.

I know the Foundation's got work underway to improve the affiliate
map from the member database, so it might be possible to have some
sort of automated job which proposes changes to a copyright holders
list in each project by running a query with the author and date of
each commit looking for new affiliations. That seems like it would
be hacky, fragile and inaccurate, but probably still more reliable
than expecting thousands of contributors to keep that information up
to date when submitting patches?
--
Jeremy Stanley