[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Oct 19 15:50:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-19 23:29:28 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Though the Debian FTP masters seems to insist on having correct
> copyright holders in debian/copyright, and I am a bit lost after the 2
> rejects I just had.

Well, this is still a fuzzy topic. We have a lot of contributions
and know who the authors are, but not necessarily who the copyright
holders were on behalf of whom they might have contributed various
changes (only that the copyright holders authorized them to
contribute this work under a specific license, because the authors
signed agreements to this effect). It would almost certainly take a
policy decision by the technical committee if we wanted to start
requiring all authors of new changes to add/update copyright
statements accurately on every file they touch, and there is quite
probably no chance at all we can precisely nail down historical
copyright holder data for previous changes already merged.

> The licensing has nothing to do with copyright holders. These are 2
> different topics, please don't mix them in. :)
[...]

OH! But you couldn't be more wrong. Licensing has everything to do
with copyright holders in this case, because what we're applying is
a *copyright license*. ;)
--
Jeremy Stanley