[openstack-dev] Call for a clear COPYRIGHT-HOLDERS file in all OpenStack projects (and [trove] python-troveclient_0.1.4-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Oct 19 15:29:28 UTC 2013

On 10/19/2013 08:24 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 10/19/2013 05:49 AM, Michael Still wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest that we just put Copyright headers back in the source files.
>>> That will make Debian's licensecheck work fairly automatically. A single
>>> file that tries to do exactly what debian/copyright would do seems a bit
>>> odd.
>>
>> The problem here is that the copyright headers were wrong. They aren't
>> religiously added to, and sometimes people have tried to "gift" code
>> to the Foundation by saying the code is copyright the Foundation,
>> which isn't always true. So, we can't lean on these headers for
>> accurate statements of copyright.
>
> This is correct. As with many things that are harder for us than for
> other people, we have >=1000 developers and the history thus-far has
> been for people to be rather antagonistic and annoyed when someone tries
> to suggest proper copyright attribution.

Though the Debian FTP masters seems to insist on having correct
copyright holders in debian/copyright, and I am a bit lost after the 2
rejects I just had.

> What we CAN say is that every single commit is Apache licensed. Our CLA
> and enforcement of it, sad as this statement makes me, ensures that we
> know that.

The licensing has nothing to do with copyright holders. These are 2
different topics, please don't mix them in. :)

> I'm not sure what to do re: FTP masters. Could someone expand for me
> like I'm an idiot what the goal they are trying to achieve is? I _think_
> that they're trying to make sure that the code is free software and that
> it is annotated somewhere that we know this to be true, yeah? Is there
> an additional thing being attempted?
>
> Monty

I believe you are right. I'll point them to this thread.

Thomas