[openstack-dev] Building on Debian: Havana unit tests at build time report

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri Oct 18 18:33:23 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-18 03:37, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 02:06 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> A link to instructions on setting up a wheezy box for this testing
>> would
>> be helpful.
>
> Just install a minimal Wheezy machine, add my repositories (using the
> Jenkins one at "*.pkgs.enovance.com"), then do "apt-get install
> openstack-toaster". I'll be trying to provide a new preseed script so
> that just running the script will be enough. I have that already,
> though
> it needs to be updated for Havana. I'll post instructions when it is
> ready.
>
>>> No unit test failure / error (in both Sid and Wheezy). However, Heat
>>> doesn't include a -P option in ./run_tests.sh, and insists on running
>>> the PEP8 checks, which fails because Sid has pyflakes 0.7.3, and Heat
>>> wants 0.7.2:
>>>

>> run_tests.sh is there for _your_ convenience. And by you I mean
>> packagers and others who want to run the tests with system python.
>
> And it's been very helpful, though there's room for improvement.
>
>> IMO you'd be better off adding a --no-venv option to tox to run the
>> prescribed commands with system python, or even just parsing tox.ini
>> do that yourself. You'll find that the commands in tox.ini are better
>> maintained, since they are gated.
>>
>> Anyway, I'd gladly accept a patch to add -P.
>
> I wonder: are the different run_tests.sh scripts maintained in Oslo? It
> feels strange that do we have different options for different OpenStack
> projects (like missing -P and -N options sometimes).
>
> On the nit-picking details side, an option to disable color output
> would
> be great (it's ugly to read [32mOK  0.03 ...). Different
> projects have different behaviors in this regard. (for example, Glance
> always display in colors, while Cinder doesn't)

I believe there was some work done around getting run_tests.sh into
Oslo, but I don't know that it was ever finished, and if it was it
obviously isn't being used in the other projects.  Glancing through
oslo-incubator I don't see anything that looks related so I'm guessing
it just didn't happen.

-Ben