[openstack-dev] [qa][keystone] Adding client library related tests to tempest

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 15:59:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Starting a thread to discuss $subject, as requested in:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51558/
>
> First a bit of background.  I wrote a keystoneclient patch, and ayoung
> stated he'd like it tested via tempest before he'd ack it:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/48462/
>
> So I spoke to ayoung and dkranz on IRC, showing them my local tests for the
> patch.  dkranz suggested creating a "client_lib" directory, where we could
> build out a more comprehensive set of tests over time, adding to the inital
> tests related to keystone trusts client additions.
>
> A couple of things to note:
> - These are end-to-end tests, designed to test not only the client, but
>   also the API and keystone backend functionality.  So arguably this could
>   just be a scenario test, e.g scenario/keystone/test_v3_auth.py

I'd love to be able to run these tests against a wider variety of service
configurations (e.g. LDAP!), which tempest is obviously more suitable for.

> - The intention is to excercise logic which is hard to fully test with
>   unit or integration tests, and to catch issues like incompatibility
>   between client and API - e.g keystoneclient tests may pass, but we need
>   to make sure the client actually works against the real keystone API.

All of our tests under keystone.tests.test_keystoneclient fall into this
category as well:

https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/a0e26c1882d83989bee3726a5ae08cbe3f32a2b5/keystone/tests/test_keystoneclient.py

https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/a0e26c1882d83989bee3726a5ae08cbe3f32a2b5/keystone/tests/test_keystoneclient_sql.py

> Working on Heat has given me a pretty good insight into the python-*client
> API's, as we use them to orchestrate actions with every openstack service;
> IMO anything we can do to make these interfaces more robust (and catch
> bugs, several of which I found already while writing these tests) is a
> good-thing (tm).

++

> I'd welcome feedback on the patch above, and what will be the most
> acceptable approach to the tempest team for adding these tests.
>
> More links:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51559/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51560/
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/keystoneclient-api