[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] A new blueprint for Nova-scheduler: Policy-based Scheduler

Khanh-Toan Tran khanh-toan.tran at cloudwatt.com
Fri Oct 18 10:06:48 UTC 2013

I like what you proposed in the blueprint. I totally agree that nova-scheduler needs
finer granularity in its usage of filters and weighers. Our objective is thus very
similar.

Our approach is little different. Since flavors are choices of clients, and
aggregates are selected during host selection (which comes after filters), we choose
to separate the policies from flavors and aggregates and put them into a Policy
Repository (a database or a simple file). The Policy-based Scheduler then looks at
the Repo first to know which policy applied to which target (aggregates, tenants, etc).
It is an extensible architecture: It allows to customize policies and plug other
solutions easily. The policy may be as simple as to apply, like in your proposal, a filter
(policy -> (filter + aggregate)), a weigher, a combination of them or a completely
new driver, say a new scheduling solution.

Currently we're working on an implementation of the blueprint which allows only admin
to set up policies, but I also like the idea of letting client say their preferences
(e.g. preferred availability-zone, anti-affinity, choice between silver-class or
gold-class service). It is a question of philosophy.

Best regards,

Toan

Global archi:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gr4Pb1ErXymxN9QXR4G_jVjLqNOg2ij9oA0JrLwMVRA