[openstack-dev] Change in openstack/heat[master]: Implement a Heat-native resource group

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 18 02:29:20 UTC 2013

Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 10/17/2013 09:16:12 PM:

> Excerpts from Mike Spreitzer's message of 2013-10-17 17:19:58 -0700:
> > What is the rationale for this new feature?  Since there is already an

> > autoscaling group implemented by Heat, what is the added benefit here?
And
> > why is it being done as another heat-native thing rather than as an
> > independent service (e.g., as outlined in
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/AutoScaling for an autoscaling
group
> > service)?
>
> This supports that design quite well.
>
> The point is to be able to group and clone any resource, not just
> server/instance. So autoscaling might be configured to manage a group
> of Trove database instances which are then fed as a list to a group of
> separately autoscaled webservers.

Thanks for the answer.  I'm just a newbie here, trying to understand
what's going on.  I still don't quite follow.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/AutoScaling says that what's
autoscaled is a set of resources, not just one.  Can there be dependencies
among the resources in that set?  For example, is the intent that I could
autoscale a pair of (DB server, web server) where the web server's
properties depend on the DB server's attributes?  If so, would it be
problematic to implement that in terms of a pair of Heat-native resource
groups?

BTW, is there some place I could have read the answers to my questions
about the design thinking here?

Thanks,
Mike