[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? Oct 17th 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Oct 17 20:13:45 UTC 2013

Special release day edition of What's Up Doc -- I want to take a minute to
recognize this milestone and give a huge thanks to everyone who made it
possible to release docs today. A sincere thank you, pat on the back, and
special recognition to the top 10:
Andreas Jaeger, Diane Fleming, (me), Tom Fifield, Christian Berendt, Sean
Roberts, Stephen Gordon, Summer Long, Lorin Hochstein, and Nermina Miller.
Way to rock the docs!

The openstack-manuals repo now has a stable/havana branch which publishes
the Install Guides and Configuration Reference to docs.openstack.org/havana/.
All other guides publish from the master branch to a direct link.

So, I'll walk through a scenario. Let's say you have a fix to the install
guide that you know is incorrect in the Havana link for the install guide:

   1. First, fix the error in the master branch as normal.
   2. Then, once that patch is reviewed and merged, follow the steps in
   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#How_to_a_cherry-pick_a_change_to_a_stable_branchto
pick a copy of that patch create a special patch just for the
   stable/havana branch.
   3. Once that patch is merged, your changes will show up on the
   docs.openstack.org/havana/ version of the install guide.

Hint: It's best to keep those changes small to make the reviewing/merging
when backporting easier.

For the time prior to the summit, let's focus on doc bugs -- triaging,
fixing, tagging, all are good tasks for the next 2 weeks. Let's also keep
an eye on http://ask.openstack.org and the Disqus comments for feedback and
input. I also want to work on search-ability/find-ability with a
sitemap.xml, fine-tuned .htaccess, and any other tips and tricks after the
release and reorg would be welcomed. We're also exploring redesign ideas
for the docs pages. After the Summit and listening to feedback on Havana,
let's write up some top priorities for docs for the next release.

Thanks all,
Anne