[openstack-dev] RFC: Freeze deps versions in requirements (was [tripleo], but that's a general topic)

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Oct 17 19:35:17 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2013-10-17 08:33:44 -0700:
> See above. Also, remember that package maintainers are a few (me alone
> for Debian, maybe 5 people in Ubuntu/Canonical) fighting hundreds of
> developers who wish not to be disturbed. However, in this particular
> case, the majority isn't always right. ;)

It makes me sad that you feel this is a fight.

We (developers of OpenStack) want users to find and use OpenStack. You
are one of the many channels by which they do that. So please, it is not
a fight, it is a dialog between peers.

> *I* do not control all of the version of Python modules that gets into
> Debian (I'm not sure if I should add "luckily" or "unfortunately" ...).

The hard work of integration is making things work with what you have.
We will do everything we can to stabilize the requirements as quickly as
possible. But sometimes its just not going to align with the distro
model. I think you've done a fine job, and I think OpenStack in general
has been responsive to your feedback.