[openstack-dev] Building on Debian: Havana unit tests at build time report

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Oct 17 18:06:33 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2013-10-17 00:16:22 -0700:
> Hi,
>
> As you know, I maintain OpenStack both for Debian Sid, and a backport
> for Wheezy (non-official) repository (since using the backports
> repository for OpenStack wouldn't be practical). Below is the result of
> the building OpenStack Havana (latest RC) under both these environments.
>
> I would really appreciate if people from each of the concerned projects
> could pay attention to this report, and provide fixes. It doesn't have
> to be merged into the final release (I of course understand that we are
> running out of time), though if there's a proposed patch, even if it's
> not yet merged and still with "work in progress" status, that's fine for
> me. I can use in a Debian specific patch (under debian/patches), and
> upload later on.
>
> Another thing which struck me: OpenStack really works well in Sid, even
> with SQLAlchemy 0.8.2, apart from this Nova glitch which *must* be
> fixed. I really hope someone will come with a patch for it.
>
> I'd like also to point out that if I am publishing this report, it
> really is because I expect others to work on it. Remember that I'm alone
> doing the Debian packaging work (as opposed to a full team for Ubuntu),
> and that you cannot expect that *I* fix (all) things. I simply don't
> have enough time to work on it myself, unfortunately. So help wanted... :)
>
> Last thing: please test and use Debian (Sid or my Wheezy backport
> repository) for OpenStack!

A link to instructions on setting up a wheezy box for this testing would
be helpful.

> * Heat
> ======
>
> No unit test failure / error (in both Sid and Wheezy). However, Heat
> doesn't include a -P option in ./run_tests.sh, and insists on running
> the PEP8 checks, which fails because Sid has pyflakes 0.7.3, and Heat
> wants 0.7.2:

run_tests.sh is there for _your_ convenience. And by you I mean
packagers and others who want to run the tests with system python.

IMO you'd be better off adding a --no-venv option to tox to run the
prescribed commands with system python, or even just parsing tox.ini to
do that yourself. You'll find that the commands in tox.ini are better
maintained, since they are gated.

Anyway, I'd gladly accept a patch to add -P.

> pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (pyflakes 0.7.3
> (/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages), Requirement.parse('pyflakes==0.7.2'))
>
> I had the same problem with Sid, with the PEP8 1.4.4 which I maintain as
> backport (and Heat expects 1.4.5). I could work it out, though I don't
> think it's worse the trouble (as it will not change the useability of
> the package), so I just gave up on it.
>
> Also, heat uses /usr/bin/coverage. Please switch to python -m coverage
> (IMO, the best way...), or check if /usr/bin/coverage and if not, use
> /usr/bin/python-coverage.

I appreciate this message, however, the bug tracker is over there ->
https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+filebug