[openstack-dev] Building on Debian: Havana unit tests at build time report

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Oct 17 15:31:15 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 09:11 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> I understand what you are saying and I also understand your frustration.
> However, OpenStack does not, as of yet, support SQLAlchemy 0.8, and as
> you can see, the requirements file does, in fact, communicate reality,
> we depend on <0.8.

It does, at the exception of this little issue when running in Sid with
SQLite 3.

> I support the bug being fixed and the requirement being raised, but it
> has to happen in that order.

Sure!

>> So yes, we need a fix for the above problem, and Nova needs to support
>> SQLAlchemy 0.8.2 which is what we have in Sid [1]. If I remember well,
>> there's also the problem on RPM based systems. BTW, it looks like it is
>> an isolated unique problem, and it seems to be the only one left in this
>> release of OpenStack. It is also new (Nova Havana B3 didn't have the
>> issue). So I really think it shouldn't be hard to fix the problem.
>>
>> Also, note that the issue isn't only in Debian, it's also a problem for
>> Ubuntu 2013.10, which also has SQLAlchemy 0.8.2. [2]
>
> Fascinating. What have they done to make that work?

I'm not sure what you are talking about, since I don't agree that
OpenStack doesn't work with SQLAlchemy 0.8.2 (apart from this one bug).

> And why has none of
> that work made it into OpenStack so that we could raise the SQLAlchemy
> requirement?

If you didn't know, I already have Grizzly (currently in Sid) working
with SQLAlchemy 0.8.2... (I just backported from Havana to Grizzly a few
patches from upstream, namely for Cinder and Heat IIRC.) These were
reported by me during this summer, and fixed in July for all projects,
and just right before Havana B3 for Heat.

>> I really hope that for the next release cycle, the above will be taken
>> into consideration, and that someone will come up with a fix quickly for
>> this release. Maybe *now* is time to switch the gate to SQLAlchemy 0.8.2
>> for the Icehouse branch?
>
> Can't change the req until it works - but yes, I agree with you, we
> clearly need to upgrade.

Let's have that one fixed, and let's switch...

> Thanks for you help and attention Thomas! I appreciate all the work!!!

My pleasure! :)

Thomas