[openstack-dev] Building on Debian: Havana unit tests at build time report

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Oct 17 13:11:40 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 08:57 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Robert for this quick reply.
>
> On 10/17/2013 07:31 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Hey Thomas, this is good information to know about.
>>
>> It seems like all these issues could be bug reports?
>
> My intention was to first warn the list, as it is well possible that
> there was some mistake that I did in the packaging, and I wanted to
> avoid reporting some false positive.
>
>> On 17 October 2013 20:16, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> These appear in both Sid and Wheezy backports.
>>>
>>> * Nova
>>> ======
>>>
>>> Only a single: FAIL:
>>> nova.tests.db.test_migrations.TestNovaMigrations.test_walk_versions in
>>> Sid. The relevant part is:
>>>
>>> OperationalError: (OperationalError) table instances has no column named
>>> cleaned u'CREATE INDEX instances_host_deleted_cleaned_idx ON instances
>>> (host, deleted, cleaned)' ()
>>>
>>> It would really be nice if that one could be fixed, and that's the
>>> failure which worries me the most. Note that this is using sqlite3.
>>> There's no error at all under Wheezy backport, which leads me to believe
>>> the error is linked to SQLAlchemy 0.8.2 in Sid.
>>
>> Global requirements still lists
>> SQLAlchemy>=0.7.8,<=0.7.99
>>
>> So you'll need an older version.
>
> I have stressed it many, many times, though it seems that the message
> still didn't reach everyone. Debian Sid has SQLAlchemy 0.8.2, and
> there's nothing we can do about it. Setting >=0.7.8,<=0.7.99 in the
> requirements.txt doesn't fix the issue, it makes it worse: some
> OpenStack developers believe it is a fix, while it prevents building.

I understand what you are saying and I also understand your frustration.
However, OpenStack does not, as of yet, support SQLAlchemy 0.8, and as
you can see, the requirements file does, in fact, communicate reality,
we depend on <0.8.

I support the bug being fixed and the requirement being raised, but it
has to happen in that order.

> So yes, we need a fix for the above problem, and Nova needs to support
> SQLAlchemy 0.8.2 which is what we have in Sid [1]. If I remember well,
> there's also the problem on RPM based systems. BTW, it looks like it is
> an isolated unique problem, and it seems to be the only one left in this
> release of OpenStack. It is also new (Nova Havana B3 didn't have the
> issue). So I really think it shouldn't be hard to fix the problem.
>
> Also, note that the issue isn't only in Debian, it's also a problem for
> Ubuntu 2013.10, which also has SQLAlchemy 0.8.2. [2]

Fascinating. What have they done to make that work? And why has none of
that work made it into OpenStack so that we could raise the SQLAlchemy
requirement?

> I really hope that for the next release cycle, the above will be taken
> into consideration, and that someone will come up with a fix quickly for
> this release. Maybe *now* is time to switch the gate to SQLAlchemy 0.8.2
> for the Icehouse branch?

Can't change the req until it works - but yes, I agree with you, we
clearly need to upgrade.

> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
>
> P.S: I'll be filling bug reports if I don't get any more comments.

Thanks for you help and attention Thomas! I appreciate all the work!!!