[openstack-dev] Building on Debian: Havana unit tests at build time report

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Oct 17 12:57:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks Robert for this quick reply.

On 10/17/2013 07:31 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> Hey Thomas, this is good information to know about.
>
> It seems like all these issues could be bug reports?

My intention was to first warn the list, as it is well possible that
there was some mistake that I did in the packaging, and I wanted to
avoid reporting some false positive.

> On 17 October 2013 20:16, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> These appear in both Sid and Wheezy backports.
>>
>> * Nova
>> ======
>>
>> Only a single: FAIL:
>> nova.tests.db.test_migrations.TestNovaMigrations.test_walk_versions in
>> Sid. The relevant part is:
>>
>> OperationalError: (OperationalError) table instances has no column named
>> cleaned u'CREATE INDEX instances_host_deleted_cleaned_idx ON instances
>> (host, deleted, cleaned)' ()
>>
>> It would really be nice if that one could be fixed, and that's the
>> failure which worries me the most. Note that this is using sqlite3.
>> There's no error at all under Wheezy backport, which leads me to believe
>> the error is linked to SQLAlchemy 0.8.2 in Sid.
>
> Global requirements still lists
> SQLAlchemy>=0.7.8,<=0.7.99
>
> So you'll need an older version.

I have stressed it many, many times, though it seems that the message
still didn't reach everyone. Debian Sid has SQLAlchemy 0.8.2, and
there's nothing we can do about it. Setting >=0.7.8,<=0.7.99 in the
requirements.txt doesn't fix the issue, it makes it worse: some
OpenStack developers believe it is a fix, while it prevents building.

So yes, we need a fix for the above problem, and Nova needs to support
SQLAlchemy 0.8.2 which is what we have in Sid [1]. If I remember well,
there's also the problem on RPM based systems. BTW, it looks like it is
an isolated unique problem, and it seems to be the only one left in this
release of OpenStack. It is also new (Nova Havana B3 didn't have the
issue). So I really think it shouldn't be hard to fix the problem.

Also, note that the issue isn't only in Debian, it's also a problem for
Ubuntu 2013.10, which also has SQLAlchemy 0.8.2. [2]

I really hope that for the next release cycle, the above will be taken
into consideration, and that someone will come up with a fix quickly for
this release. Maybe *now* is time to switch the gate to SQLAlchemy 0.8.2
for the Icehouse branch?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: I'll be filling bug reports if I don't get any more comments.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-sqlalchemy
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/python-sqlalchemy