[openstack-dev] How to get VXLAN Endpoint IP without agent

Ravi Chunduru ravivsn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 19:10:30 UTC 2013

I guess the intention is to make VXLAN work with out quantum agent. It
means you are using an external openflow controller to manage OVS switches.

In such a case, there is a need to specifically get the compute node IP
from the VM data interface network( and not the management or openstack
network interface IP)

I think of two solutions
1) There must be a onboarding process for each compute node that can
indicate your controller of the compute's local_ip
2) Make sure OVS uses VM data interface network to connect to the
controller.

I don't prefer 2, as OVS mgmt traffic should not be on VM data network.

For solution#1, its a pain to load compute local IP onto openflow
controller but it can be automated using puppet etc.,

(I have verified nova database for compute - but it stores management
network interface IP but not from data network- Makes sense as endpoints
are on management network)

Alternately, we can propose a blueprint to include an option in nova.conf
on compute for local_ip as there is a need for consumption using VXLAN
based overlay networks.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
-Ravi.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM, B Veera-B37207 <B37207 at freescale.com>wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> Vxlan endpoint ip is configured in ‘*
> /etc/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini*’ as ‘*local_ip*’*
> ***
>
> While starting openvswitch agent the above local ip is populated in
> neutron database.****
>
> ** **
>
> Is there any way to get local_ip of compute node without any agent running?
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks in advance.****
>
> ** **