[openstack-dev] Hyper-V meeting Minutes

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 14:18:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:

> > +1 - I think we really want to have a strong preference for a stable
> > api if we start separating parts out
>
> So, as someone who is about to break the driver API all to hell over the
> next six months (er, I mean, make some significant changes), I can tell
> you that making it stable is the best way to kill velocity right now. We
> are a young project with a lot of work yet to do. Making the driver API
> stable at this point in the process, especially because just one driver
> wants to be out of tree, is going to be a huge problem.

Yes I agree. I just think if the internal API is not yet considered stable
its a sign we should
not be splitting the dependent bits out.

> > Otherwise we either end up with lots of pain in making
> > infrastructure changes or asymmetric gating which is to be avoided
> > wherever possible.
>
> AFAICT, this is pain that would be experienced by the out-of-tree driver
> and pain which has been called out specifically by the authors as
> "better than the alternative".

Yes, most of the pain will be felt by the out of tree driver. There may be
a small amount
on the nova side due to a reduction in the amount of immediate feedback if
a change breaks
something unexpectedly in a driver which is no longer integrated.

If a driver really wants to be out of tree then thats up to them, but it
doesn't mean we should
encourage or endorse it if its worse for the project overall.

Chris