[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software configuration proposal

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 13:16:33 UTC 2013

On 16/10/13 00:48, Steve Baker wrote:
> I've just written some proposals to address Heat's HOT software
> configuration needs, and I'd like to use this thread to get some feedback:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/hot-software-config
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/native-tools-bootstrap-config

Wow, nice job, thanks for writing all of this up :)

> Please read the proposals and reply to the list with any comments or
> suggestions.

For me the crucial question is, how do we define the interface for
synchronising and passing data from and to arbitrary applications
running under an arbitrary configuration management system?

Compared to this, defining the actual format in which software
applications are specified in HOT seems like a Simple Matter of
Bikeshedding ;)

(BTW +1 for not having the relationships, hosted_on always reminded me
uncomfortably of INTERCAL[1]. We already have DependsOn for resources
though, and might well need it here too.)

I'm not a big fan of having Heat::Puppet, Heat::CloudInit, Heat::Ansible
&c. component types insofar as they require your cloud provider to
support your preferred configuration management system before you can
use it. (In contrast, it's much easier to teach your configuration
management system about Heat because you control it yourself, and
configuration management systems are already designed for plugging in
arbitrary applications.)

I'd love to be able to put this control in the user's hands by just
using provider templates - i.e. you designate PuppetServer.yaml as the
provider for an OS::Nova::Server in your template and it knows how to
configure Puppet and handle the various components. We could make
available a library of such provider templates, but users wouldn't be
limited to only using those.

cheers,
Zane.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMEFROM