[openstack-dev] [glance] 'ordereddict' requirement

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Oct 16 12:30:43 UTC 2013

On 10/16/2013 07:40 AM, stuart.mclaren at hp.com wrote:
> All,
>
> There was a plan to use pypi's 'ordereddict' in Icehouse, to
> replace how we're currently providing that functionality.
>
> However, there are no ordereddict packages for Debian/Ubuntu
> and there are no plans to provide them. (See Thomas Goirand's comment
> here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/48475/3/requirements.txt)

I don't think we need them.

Debian/Ubuntu are not packaging Icehouse for their 2.6-based releases
anyway, and 2.6 is the only platform on which you need to install
ordereddict.

We already have 2 such exclusions in pbr that trap things that don't
make sense to install on 2.7 but do on 2.6:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/pbr/tree/pbr/packaging.py#n52

adding a third would be less work than writing this email. :)

> I think this means that it makes sense to stick with our current
> solution until
> python 2.6 support is dropped. On that basis I've uploaded a change
> to requirements to drop ordereddict:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52053/
>
> Please jump in with '-1's/'+1's as appropriate.

-1'd... I think moving forward with ordereddict on 2.6 and using
OrderedDict from collections on 2.7 is a fine plan.