[openstack-dev] [oslo] i18n Message improvements

Łukasz Jernaś deejay1 at srem.org
Wed Oct 16 07:26:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Mathew R Odden <mrodden at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> As requested in the last Oslo meeting, I created a blueprint for further
> discussion on the i18n work in Icehouse here:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/i18n-messages
>
> There were some ideas from the meeting that I'm sure I wasn't quite fully
> understanding, so please take a look and let me know if there is any
> feedback.

Hi,

If I may include my 0.02€.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the need for translating API
messages and log messages as IMHO it adds a lot more problems for app
developers  and log analysis tools, eg. a log analysis tool would be
usable only for the locale it was developed for and break with _every_
update of the translations. As a translator myself I don't really want
to check every system in existence if it uses my messages to do some
sort analysis and often change the strings to more proper form in my
language as reviews and feedback on the translation comes in - even
though the original English string doesn't change at all.
I feel that translating mostly computer facing stuff is just crying
for bugs, weird issues popping up for users, API-s should be readable
by humans, but translating them is a bit too far in my opinion.

If I get it right the Message objects are supposed to move stuff
around internally in a C/en locale, but we will still end up dropping
translated messages to computers if the don't explicitly specify the
locale which the request should use...

Regards,
--
Łukasz [DeeJay1] Jernaś

P.S. Of course I may be wrong with all of that ;)