[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

Alessandro Pilotti apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com
Tue Oct 15 17:24:30 UTC 2013

About getting a Nova core, from a previous email that I wrote on this thread:

>> Our domain is the area in which me and my sub-team can add the biggest value. Being also an independent startup, we reached now the stage in which we can sponsor some devs to do reviews all the time outside of our core domain, but this will take a few months spawning one or two releases as aquiring the necessary understanding of a project like e.g. Nova cannot be done overnight.

Anyway, although this will help, it won't be a solution. A central control without delegation is going to fail anyway as the project size increases.

> There's a 'tax' to contributing to openstack, which is dedicating some
> time to reviewing other people's work. The more people do that, the
> faster things go for everybody. The higher rate tax is being a core
> reviewer, but that comes with certain advantages too.

Here's the point. A driver dev pays this "tax" across multiple projects, e.g.: by reviewing Hyper-V code in Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Ceilometer, Cloudbase-Init, Crowbar, OpenVSwitch and so on.
As a consequence the amount of review work in a single project will never be enough to get a core status.