[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:03:30 UTC 2013

On 11 October 2013 20:51, Rochelle.Grober <Rochelle.Grober at huawei.com> wrote:
> Proposed solution:
>
> There have been a couple of solutions proposed.  I’m presenting a
> merged/hybrid solution that may work
>
> ·         Create a new repository for the extra drivers:
>
> o   Keep kvm and Xenapi in the Nova project as “reference” drivers
>
> o    openstack/nova-extra-drivers (proposed by rbryant)
>
> o    Have all drivers other than reference drivers in the extra-drivers
> project until they meet the maturity of the ones in Nova
>
> o   The core reviewers for nova-extra-drivers will come from its developer
> pool.  As Alessandro pointed out, all the driver developers have more in
> common with each other than core Nova, so they should be able to do a better
> job of reviewing these patches than Nova core.  Plus, this might create some
> synergy between different drivers that will result in more commonalities
> across drivers and better stability.  This also reduces the workloads on
> both Nova Core reviewers and the driver developers/core reviewers.
>
> o   If you don’t feel comfortable with the last bullet, have the Nova core
> reviewers do the final approval, but only for the obvious “does this code
> meet our standards?”
>

> The proposed solution focuses the strengths of the different developers in
> their strong areas.  Everyone will still have to stretch to do reviews and
> now there is a possibility that the developers that best understand the
> drivers might be able to advance the state of the drivers by sharing their
> expertise amongst each other.

The problem here is that you need to keep nova-core and the drivers
tree in sync... if a core change causes CI to break because it
requires a change to the driver code (this has happened a couple of
times in cinder... when they're in the same tree you can just fix em
all up, easy), there's a nasty dance to get the patches in since the
drivers need updating to work with both the old and the new core code,
then the core code updating, then the support for the old core code
removing... yuck