[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Announcing a new task scheduling and orchestration service for OpenStack

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 10:45:36 UTC 2013

On 14/10/13 21:40, Renat Akhmerov wrote:
> Hi OpenStackers,
>
> I am proud to announce the official launch of the Mistral project. At
> Mirantis we have a team to start contributing to the project right away.
> We invite anybody interested in task service & state management to join
> the initiative.
>
> Mistral is a new OpenStack service designed for task flow control,
> scheduling, and execution. The project will implement Convection
> proposal (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Convection) and provide an API
> and domain-specific language that enables users to manage tasks and
> their dependencies, and to define workflows, triggers, and events. The
> service will provide the ability to schedule tasks, as well as to define
> and manage external sources of events to act as task execution triggers.

Cool, I think Convection was one of the most interesting idea to come
out of the last summit, and it's great to see folks start to implement it.

That said, can we please, please, please not invent a *third* meaning of
"orchestration"? The proposal, as I understand it, is Workflow as a
Service, so let's call it that. The fact that orchestration uses a
workflow does not make them the same thing. OpenStack already has an
Orchestration program, calling Mistral a "task scheduling and
orchestration service" just adds confusion.

cheers,
Zane.