[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Announcing a new task scheduling and orchestration service for OpenStack

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Mon Oct 14 20:19:43 UTC 2013

Hi Clint,

This is done in collaboration with Joshua Harlow and the task flow team who
come up with the original proposal. We had a hangout session where we
defined a project scope and its relationship with task flow library.

We cant use name Convection as this is a trademark owned by Microsoft. We
saw the naming problems with Quantum, so we decided to pick up a name which
is not associated with any IT company.

Thanks
Georgy

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Renat Akhmerov's message of 2013-10-14 12:40:28 -0700:
> > Hi OpenStackers,
> >
> > I am proud to announce the official launch of the Mistral project. At
> Mirantis we have a team to start contributing to the project right away. We
> invite anybody interested in task service & state management to join the
> initiative.
> >
> > Mistral is a new OpenStack service designed for task flow control,
> scheduling, and execution. The project will implement Convection proposal (
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Convection) and provide an API and
> domain-specific language that enables users to manage tasks and their
> dependencies, and to define workflows, triggers, and events. The service
> will provide the ability to schedule tasks, as well as to define and manage
> external sources of events to act as task execution triggers.
>
> Why exactly aren't you just calling this Convection and/or collaborating
> with the developers who came up with it?

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Technical Program Manager,
Cloud and Infrastructure Services,
Mirantis