[openstack-dev] [novaclient]should administrator can see all servers of all tenants by default?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Oct 14 15:37:10 UTC 2013

I agree that this needs to be fixed. It's very counterintuitive, if
nothing else (which is also my argument against requiring all-tenants
for admin users in the first place). The only question for me is whether
to fix it in novaclient or in Nova itself. The comments on the review
from the previous discussion seemed to support the latter, but there was
no follow-up that I'm aware of. Maybe it's a problem because it's an API
change? For reference, see the discussion here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/39705/3/novaclient/v1_1/shell.py

I think it should definitely be fixed for v3. v2 is a little trickier
because it's a change in behavior, but since v3 is coming soon I'm not
too hung up on getting it changed in v2.

-Ben

On 2013-10-14 10:13, Lingxian Kong wrote:

> Seems no consensus was reached. I think we should turn it up and make some discussion again. IMHO, it's a bug. http://paste.openstack.org/show/48359/ [1], I didn't see there is any explanation in the API doc or CLI helper, that we only use server-name as a non-admin role.
>
> 2013/10/14 Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com>
>
> On 2013-10-14 04:29, Lingxian Kong wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> When I perform some operations on servers with administrator role, using CLI, I met tha same strage behavior as described: https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1050901 [2]. I'm afraid the Glance has the same issue.
>
> What I want to figure out is, what is the expected behavior when taking some actions on a server of other tenants using server name that is global unique with admin role?
>
> I apologize if this question was already covered and I missed it, but it really bother me for a while.
>
> This sounds related to a discussion we had a few months ago: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-June/010461.html [3]
>
> I don't know that any changes ever came out of that though. :-/
>
> -Ben

Links:
------
[1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/48359/