[openstack-dev] "Thanks for fixing my patch"

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Oct 13 22:58:01 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-14 09:45:38 +1100 (+1100), Angus Salkeld wrote:
> Note the commit will "authored" by the original poster, so perhaps
> if you modify a patch we should add a "Modified-by: " line to indicate
> that it was dual authored.

"We encourage the use of Co-Authored-By: name <name at example.com> in
commit messages to indicate people who worked on a particular patch.
It's a convention for recognizing multiple authors, and our projects
would encourage the stats tools to observe it when collecting
statistics."

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Including_external_references

That said, if the work I'm doing is trivial fixup to someone else's
change and I'm not substantially contributing to the overall
idea/implementation, I don't bother to add one... only if it's a
significant departure from/improvement on the original author's
work.
--
Jeremy Stanley