[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

Alessandro Pilotti apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com
Sat Oct 12 23:47:47 UTC 2013

On 13.10.2013, at 01:09, "Dan Smith" <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:

>> 4) Periodically, code from the new project(s) must be merged into Nova.
>> Only Nova core reviewers will have obviously +2a rights here.
>> I propose to do it on scheduled days before every milestone, differentiated per driver to distribute the review effort (what about also having Nova core reviewers assigned to each driver? Dan was suggesting something similar some time ago).
>
> FWIW, this is not what I had intended. I think that if you want (or
> need) to be in the "extras" tree, then that's where you are. Periodic
> syncs generate extra work and add the previously-mentioned confusion of
> "which driver is the official/best one?"
>
> I think that any driver that gets put into -extra gets removed from the
> mainline nova tree. If that driver has full CI testing and wants to be
> moved into the main tree, then that happens once.

"extra" sounds to me like a ghetto for drivers which are not good enough to stay in Nova. No thanks.

My suggestion in the previous email was just to make happy also who wanted to keep the drivers in Nova.
At this point, based on your reply, why not a clear and simple "nova-driver-hyperv" project as Russell was initially suggesting? What's the practical difference from "extra"?

It'd be an official project, we won't have to beg you for reviews, you won't need to understand the Hyper-V internals, the community would still support it (definitely more than now), users would have TIMELY bug fixes and new features instead of this mess, the sun would shine, etc etc.

As a side note, the stability of the driver's interface is IMO an irrelevant issue here compared to all the opposite drawbacks.