[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 20:03:12 UTC 2013

On 10/11/2013 03:51 PM, Rochelle.Grober wrote:
> Pardon me for cutting out most of the discussion.  I’d like to summarize
> a bit here and make a proposal.
>

> Issues:
>

> ·         Driver and Plugin writers for Nova (and other Core OpenStack
> projects) have a different development focus than core developers which
> can create both delays in getting submitted code reviewed and tensions
> between to two camps.

I'd like to make a comment on this specific point.  Ideally, this should
not be the case.  There should not be two groups.  Everyone has a vested
interest in some driver.  In my case, my employer is Red Hat, and we
have a vested interest in the libvirt/KVM driver.  I could just spend
all of my time working on that, but that's a bit short sighted.
OpenStack wouldn't be successful if that's all everyone did.  Instead,
we (development community overall) share the burden of the core
development and maintenance.

This is the difference between "strategic" vs "tactical" contributions,
as described by Thierry Carrez and Mark McLouglin in this presentation:

http://www.openstack.org/summit/san-diego-2012/openstack-summit-sessions/presentation/from-tactical-to-strategic-contributions

--
Russell Bryant