[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

Mathew R Odden mrodden at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 11 19:19:16 UTC 2013

Not to derail the current direction this thread is heading but my 2 cents
on the topic of moving drivers out of tree:

I share a lot of the same concerns that John Griffith pointed out. As a one
of the maintainers of the PowerVM driver in nova,
I view the "official"-ness of having the driver in tree as a huge benefit.

For the hyper-v driver, it might make sense to be out of tree, or have an
out of tree copy for fast iteration. As one of the original
authors of the PowerVM driver, this is how we started. We had an internal
project and were able to iterate fast, fix issues quickly and
efficiently, and release as often or as little as we wanted. The copy of
the driver in Nova today is that same driver, but evolved and has a
different purpose. It is an 'official' shared copy that other teams and
community members can contribute to. It is meant to be
the community's driver, not a vendor driver. There is nothing stopping
anyone from taking that code and making their own version if they
want to go back to a fast iteration model, but their are obvious
consequences to that. Some of those consequences might come to
light during the Icehouse development cycle, so stick around if you want to
see an example of the problems with that approach.

I don't think we should move drivers out of tree, but I did like the idea
of an incubator area for new drivers. As Dan pointed out already,
this gives us a workflow to match the new requirement of CI integration for
each driver as well.

Also, I think someone already pointed this out, but doing code reviews and
helping out elsewhere in the community is important and
would definitely help the hyper-V case. Code reviews are obviously the most
in demand activity needed right now, but the idea is
that contributors should be involved in the entire project and help
"optimize the whole." No matter how many bugs you fix in the hyper-V
driver,
the driver itself would be useless if the rest of Nova was so buggy it was
useless.
Similar case between Nova and the other OpenStack projects.

Mathew Odden, Software Developer
IBM STG OpenStack Development