[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software orchestration proposal for workflows

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 19:02:38 UTC 2013

On 10/11/2013 11:55 AM, Lakshminaraya Renganarayana wrote:

> Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 10/11/2013 12:40:19 PM:
>
> > From: Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com>
> > To: openstack-dev <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> > Date: 10/11/2013 12:43 PM
> > Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software orchestration
> > proposal for workflows
> >
> > > 3. Ability to return arbitrary (JSON-compatible) data structure
> from config
> > > application and use attributes of that structure as an input for other
> > > configs
> >
> > Note that I'd like to see more use cases specified for this ability. The
> > random string generator that Steve Baker has put up should handle most
> > cases where you just need passwords. Generated key sharing might best
> > be deferred to something like Barbican which does a lot more than Heat
> > to try and keep your secrets safe.
>
> I had seen a deployment scenario that needed more than random string
> generator. It was during the deployment of a system that has clustered
> application servers, i.e., a cluster of application server nodes + a
> cluster manager node. The deployment progresses by all the VMs
> (cluster-manager and cluster-nodes) starting concurrently. Then the
> cluster-nodes wait for the cluster-manager to send them data (xml) to
> configure themselves. The cluster-manager after reading its own config
> file, generates config-data for each cluster-node and sends it to them.

Is the config data per cluster node unique to each node?  If not:

Change deployment to following model:
1. deploy cluster-manager as a resource with a waitcondition - passing
the data using the cfn-signal  -d to send the xml blob
2. have cluster nodes wait on wait condition in #1, using data from the
cfn-signal

If so, join the config data sent in cfn-signal and break it apart by the
various cluster nodes in #2