[openstack-dev] [Hyper-V] Havana status

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri Oct 11 16:04:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Bob Ball <bob.ball at citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]

I've thought about this in the past, but always come back to a couple of
things.

Being a community driven project, if a vendor doesn't want to participate
in the project then why even pretend (ie having their own project/repo,
reviewers etc).  Just post your code up in your own github and let people
that want to use it pull it down.  If it's a vendor project, then that's
fine; have it be a vendor project.

In my opinion pulling out and leaving things up to the vendors as is being
described has significant negative impacts.  Not the least of which is
consistency in behaviors.  On the Cinder side, the core team spends the
bulk of their review time looking at things like consistent behaviors,
missing features or paradigms that are introduced that "break" other
drivers.  For example looking at things like, are all the base features
implemented, do they work the same way, are we all using the same
vocabulary, will it work in an multi-backend environment.  In addition,
it's rare that a vendor implements a new feature in their driver that
doesn't impact/touch the core code somewhere.

Having drivers be a part of the core project is very valuable in my
opinion.  It's also very important in my view that the core team for Nova
actually has some idea and notion of what's being done by the drivers that
it's supporting.  Moving everybody further and further into additional
private silos seems like a very bad direction to me, it makes things like
knowledge transfer, documentation and worst of all bug triaging extremely
difficult.

I could go on and on here, but nobody likes to hear anybody go on a rant.
 I would just like to see if there are other alternatives to improving the
situation than fragmenting the projects.

John