[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? Oct 11 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Oct 11 13:14:14 UTC 2013

We met at our regular meeting this week and will meet again next week at
the same time, Tuesday 1300 UTC in #openstack-meeting. [1]

1. In review and merged this past week:

We got the install guide reorg patch this week and have been working on it.
Architectures and assignments are here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/havanainstall. We discussed it at our weekly
team meeting, and although it was incomplete, merged it so that we can all
continue work.

2. High priority doc work:

Install guide has to be top priority. We need neutron help the most. There
are use cases but people always want more detail and step-by-step
instructions with diagrams. Please review works in progress at
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/openstack-manuals,n,zand
also submit patches as soon as possible, it gets published next
Thursday.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Install guide and release notes. The doc team has made some great strides
in the last six months and I'm so excited that we can release
simultaneously with the code.

4. New incoming doc requests:

Get that release out the door October 17th!

5. Doc tools updates:

We have a doc bug reporting link on each output page now when using 1.11.0.
Andreas Jaeger wrote a nice blog post about the automation, see
http://jaegerandi.blogspot.de/2013/10/improving-openstack-documentation-build.html
.

6. Other doc news:

The O'Reilly contract is signed for the OpenStack Operations Guide. We'll
have an early release available November 5th (electronic format) and the
serious development editing will take 4-6 months after that.

Nick Chase met with Alice King to discuss the documentation licensing.
Alice King will write a draft memo to share with the Foundation staff, Mark
Radcliffe the Foundation lawyer, the Board, the TC, the Legal Affairs
Committee, and community members who have an interest in licensing. For
those of you who are armchair law afficionados, the Bylaws state that we
have to use the licensing for documentation that the Board adopts (Article
VII, Section 7.2). The license approved by the Board is CC BY for
standalone docs (Apache 2.0 still applies for docs "in line" with the
software code).

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting