[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Thu Oct 10 20:14:35 UTC 2013

Dear Stackers, I would like to put my candidacy for a position on the
OpenStack Technical Committee. I have been an active OpenStack contributor
for over a year, my work mostly concentrated around improving existing
OpenStack code (unifying common parts of OpenStack projects and putting
them to oslo, improving performance and test coverage, fixing bugs). In the
previous cycles I have been focusing on improving OpenStack Database code,
improving its performance, fixing a lot of nasty bugs, making it more
maintainable, durable and backward compatible. I lead the community effort
across all core projects to centralize database

code into oslo-incubator (others will be switched in IceHouse). In addition
to being an active contributor, I spend a lot of time helping newcomers to
OpenStack to become better Open Source citizens. During Havana I
coordinated the activies of 16 of my team members across several projects
(nova, oslo, cinder and glance) which helped Mirantis to make a meaningful
contribution to OpenStack:
http://stackalytics.com/?release=havana&metric=commits&project_type=coreCurrently
I am focusing on the goal of consistently improving OpenStack
performance at scale, arguably one of the biggest challenges across all of
OpenStack. I believe that the problem with scale and performance could be
solved easily by the community. The main problem is that contributors don’t
have an easy way to see how their commits affect performance at scale. This
is why two months ago (with the help of four of my colleagues) I started
work on project Rally (The OpenStack Benchmark System). Rally allows
everyone to see, close to real life, the performance of the OpenStack cloud
at scale. This system will be closely integrated with the existing
OpenStack CI, making the process of tuning OpenStack scalability and
performance simple and transparent for everybody.

Next Monday, in collaboration with our colleagues from Bluehost and IBM, we
are going to release the first version of Rally.

I believe that at this point in time, the focus of the community ought to
shift to enabling our customers to adopt OpenStack in real production use
cases. This means that such issues as performance, quality, reliability,
maintainability and scalability should get a higher priority, and as a
member of the OpenStack TC, I would like to become a strong advocate for
making OpenStack production ready. Links: 1. Rally Wiki
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rally

2. Rally Launchpad https://launchpad.net/rally

3. Example of Rally results:
https://docs.google.com/a/mirantis.com/file/d/0B7XIUFtx6EISTEpPb0tRSTFIaFk/edit?usp=drive_web3.
My Launchpad
https://launchpad.net/~boris-42 4. My Contribution
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:boris-42+status:merged,n,z 5. My
Contribution statistics:
http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&metric=commits&project_type=All&user_id=boris-42

Best regards, Boris Pavlovic --- Mirantis Inc.