[openstack-dev] [nova][Libvirt] Disabling nova-compute when a connection to libvirt is broken.

Vladik Romanovsky vladik.romanovsky at enovance.com
Thu Oct 10 11:47:37 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I have been recently working on a migration bug in nova (Bug #1233184).

I noticed that compute service remains available, even if a connection to libvirt is broken.
I thought that it might be better to disable the service (using conductor.manager.update_service()) and resume it once it's connected again.
(maybe keep the host_stats periodic task running or create a dedicated one, once it succeed, the service will become available again).
This way new vms wont be scheduled nor migrated to the disconnected host.

Any thoughts on that?
Is anyone already working on that?

Thank you,
Vladik