[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Common requirements for services' discussion

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Thu Oct 10 08:45:01 UTC 2013

Can I just ask you to not call it NATaas... if you want to pick a name for
it, go for Natasha :)

By the way, the idea of a NAT service plugin was first introduced at the
Grizzly summit in San Diego.
One hurdle, not a big one however, would be that the external gateway and
floating IP features of the L3 extension already implicitly implements NAT.
It will be important to find a solution to ensure NAT can be configured
explicitly as well while allowing for configuring external gateway and
floating IPs through the API in the same way that we do today.

Apart from this, another interesting aspect would be to be see if we can
come up with an approach which will result in an API which abstracts as
much as possible networking aspects. In other words, I would like to avoid
an API which ends up being "iptables over rest", if possible.

Regards,
Salvatore