[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software orchestration proposal for workflows

Stan Lagun slagun at mirantis.com
Thu Oct 10 07:59:01 UTC 2013

This rises number of questions:

1. What about conditional dependencies? Like config3 depends on config1 AND
config2 OR config3.

2. How do I pass values between configs? For example config1 requires value
from user input and config2 needs an output value obtained from applying
config1

3. How would you do error handling? For example config3 on server3 requires
config1 to be applied on server1 and config2 on server2. Suppose that there
was an error while applying config2 (and config1 succeeded). How do I
specify reaction for that? Maybe I need then to try to apply config4 to
server2 and continue or maybe just roll everything back

4. How these config dependencies play with nested stacks and resources like
LoadBalancer that create such stacks? How do I specify that myConfig
depends on HA proxy being configured if that config was declared in nested
stack that is generated by resource's Python code and is not declared in my
HOT template?

5. The solution is not generic. For example I want to write HOT template
for my custom load-balancer and a scalable web-servers group. Load balancer
config depends on all configs of web-servers. But web-servers are created
dynamically (autoscaling). That means dependency graph needs to be also
dynamically modified. But if you explicitly list config names instead of
something like "depends on all configs of web-farm X" you have no way to
describe such rule. In other words we need generic dependency, not just
dependency on particular config

6. What would you do on STACK UPDATE that modifies the dependency graph?

The notation of configs and there

Sincerely yours
Stanislav (Stan) Lagun
Senior Developer