[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Service VM discussion - Use Cases

Rudra Rugge rrugge at juniper.net
Wed Oct 9 22:26:06 UTC 2013

Hi Sumit,

Please see inline.

On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Sumit Naiksatam <sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com<mailto:sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com>>
 wrote:

Hi Harshad,

I agree with you that the "service instance" terminology might be a little confusing here. The way it was phrased in the original email, I believe it was meant to suggest an association with the corresponding Neutron logical service (the XaaS to be precise).

That said (and to your point on service templates, which I do agree is a helpful feature), we are not trying to introduce new tenant-facing abstractions in this blueprint. The work in this blueprint was envisioned to be a library module that will help service plugins to realize the service on VMs.

[Rudra] How do we handle interdependency between services within a service VM.
Since the ordering of services is often in the same order in most deployments (inbound
firewall/VPN, LB, gateway, outbound FW) it would be better if the template specifies most
of this information. Services in the pipeline may be turned on or off.

Based on the blueprint we already have the insertion modes: L2, routed, tap etc. The
interface count and interface connections to networks should be specified here. In
addition if a service plugin needs scaling then its not convenient for the plugin to
launch another service VM and manage the networking aspects.

Hence a template model can contain most of the information (image info, services offered,
service ordering, interface count and names, scaling, insertion mode etc). Launching of
service VMs (containing services) is then associated to template definition.

Thanks,
Rudra

Thanks,
~Sumit.