[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software orchestration proposal for workflows

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Wed Oct 9 19:37:01 UTC 2013

Hi Lakshminaraya,

Thank you for bringing your use case and your thought here. That is exactly
tried to achieve in Murano project.
There are important  aspects you highlighted. Sometime resource model is
two high level to describe deployment process. If you start to use more
granular approach to have defined steps of deployment you will finish with
workflow approach where you have fine control of deployment process but
description will be quite complex.

I think the HOT approach is to provide a simple way do describe you
deployment which consists of solid bricks (resources). If you are using
standard resources you can easily create a simple HOT template for your
deployment. If you need some custom resource you basically have two options
- create new resource class and hide all complexity inside the code or use
some workflows language to describe all steps required. The first approach
is currently supported by Heat. We have an experience of creating new
custom resources for orchestration deployment to specific IT infrastructure
with specific hardware and software.

Right now we are trying to figure out the possibility of adding workflows
to HOT. It looks like adding workflows language directly might harm HOT
simplicity by overloaded DSL syntax and structures.

I actually see the value in Steve's idea to have specific resource or
resource set to call workflows execution on external engine. In this case
HOT template will be still pretty simple as all workflow details will be
hidden, but still manageable without code writing.

Thanks
Gosha

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Technical Program Manager,