[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software orchestration proposal for workflows

Alex Rudenko alexei.rudenko at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 16:59:22 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I've read this thread and I'd like to share some thoughts. In my opinion,
workflows (which run on VMs) can be integrated with heat templates as
follows:

   1. workflow definitions should be defined separately and processed by
   stand-alone workflow engines (chef, puppet etc).
   2. the HOT resources should reference workflows which they require,
   specifying a type of workflow and the way to access a workflow definition.
   The workflow definition might be provided along with HOT.
   3. Heat should treat the orchestration templates as transactions (i.e.
   Heat should be able to rollback in two cases: 1) if something goes wrong
   during processing of an orchestration workflow 2) when a stand-alone
   workflow engine reports an error during processing of a workflow associated
   with a resource)
   4. Heat should expose an API which enables basic communication between
   running workflows. Additionally, Heat should provide an API to workflows
   that allows workflows to specify whether they completed successfully or
   not. The reference to these APIs should be passed to the workflow engine
   that is responsible for executing workflows on VMs.

Pros of each point:
1 & 2 - keeps Heat simple and gives a possibility to choose the best
workflows and engines among available ones.
3 - adds some kind of all-or-nothing semantics improving the control and
awareness of what's going on inside VMs.
4 - allows workflow synchronization and communication through Heat API.
Provides the error reporting mechanism for workflows. If a workflow does
not need this functionality, it can ignore it.

Cons:
- Changes to existing workflows making them aware of Heat existence are
required.

These thoughts might show some gaps in my understanding of how Heat works,
but I would like to share them anyway.

Best regards,
Oleksii Rudenko