[openstack-dev] [nova] automatically evacuate instances on compute failure

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Tue Oct 8 21:20:50 UTC 2013

Seems that this can be broken into 3 incremental pieces. First, would be
great if the ability to schedule a single 'evacuate' would be finally
merged (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/find-host-and-evacuate-instance
). Then, it would make sense to have the logic that evacuates an entire
host (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+spec/find-and-evacuate-host
). The reasoning behind suggesting that this should not necessarily be in
Nova is, perhaps, that it *can* be implemented outside Nova using the
indvidual 'evacuate' API. Finally, it should be possible to close the loop
and invoke the evacuation automatically as a result of a failure detection
(not clear how exactly this would work, though). Hopefully we will have at
least the first part merged soon (not sure if anyone is actively working
on a rebase).

Regards,
Alex