[openstack-dev] [TRIPLEO] tripleo-core update october

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 11:30:29 UTC 2013

On 8.10.2013 11:44, Martyn Taylor wrote:
> Whilst I can see that deciding on who is Core is a difficult task, I do
> feel that creating a competitive environment based on no. reviews will
> be detrimental to the project.
>
> I do feel this is going to result in quantity over quality. Personally,
> I'd like to see every commit properly reviewed and tested before getting
> a vote and I don't think these stats are promoting that.

+1. I feel that such metric favors shallow "i like this code"-reviews as
opposed to deep "i verified that it actually does what it
should"-reviews. E.g. i hit one such example just today morning on
tuskarclient. If i just looked at the code as the other reviewer did,
we'd let in code that doesn't do what it should. There's nothing bad on
making a mistake, but I wouldn't like to foster environment of quick
shallow reviews by having such metrics for core team.

I think it's also important who actually *writes* the code, not just who
does reviews. I find it odd that none of the people who most contributed
to any of the Tuskar projects in the last 3 months would make it onto
the core list [1], [2], [3].

This might also suggest that we should be looking at contributions to
the particular projects, not just the whole program in general. We're
such a big program that one's staleness towards some of the components
(or being short on global review count) doesn't necessarily mean the
person is not important contributor/reviewer on some of the other
projects, and i'd also argue this doesn't affect the quality of his work
(e.g. there's no relationship between tuskarclient and say, t-i-e,
whatsoever).

So i'd say we should get on with having a greater base of core folks and
count on people using their own good judgement on where will they
exercise their +/-2 powers (i think it's been working very well so far),
or alternatively split tripleo-core into some subteams.

J.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/tuskar/graphs/contributors?from=2013-07-06&to=2013-10-06&type=a
[2]