[openstack-dev] [TRIPLEO] tripleo-core update october

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 10:59:17 UTC 2013

Hi Robert,

I have few concerns regarding metrics and core-team. To sum up, I think
that there needs to be more metrics and core-reviewers for particular
project (not one group). More details follow:

Measures:
--------
* Only number of reviews shouldn't be the only indicator - you can get
into situation where people sit at computer and start give +1s to the
code - regardless the quality, just to get quantity.
* Delivery of solutions (code, and other stuff) should be counted as
well. It is not responsibility of core member just to review the code
but also to deliver.
* Also very important is general activity of the person on IRC, mailing
lists, etc.

With multiple metrics, we really can assure that the person is a core
member at that project. It can be delivering architectural solutions, it
can be delivering code, it can be reviewing the work or discussing
problems. But only reviews are not very strong metric and we can run
into problems.

Review Process:
-------------
* +1... People should give +1 to something what looks good (they might
not test it, but they indicate that they are fine with that)
* +2... Should be given only if the person tested it and if he is sure
that the solution works (meaning running test, testing functionality, etc).
* Approved... Same for approvals - they are final step when person is
saying 'merge it'. There needs to be clear certainty, that what I am
merging will not brake the app and works.

Quality of code is very important. It shouldn't come into the state,
where core reviewers will start to give +2 to code which looks ok. They
need to be sure that it works and solves the problem and only core
people on particular project might assure this.

Core Reviewers:
-------------
* Tzu-Mainn pointed out, that there are big differences between
projects. I think that splitting core-members based on projects where
they contribute make bigger sense.
     * Example: It doesn't make sense, that someone who is core-reviewer
based on image-builder is able to give +2 on UI or CLI code and vice-versa.
* For me it makes bigger sense to have separate core-members for each
project then having one big group - then we can assure higher quality of
the code.
* If there is no way to split the core-reviewers across projects and we
have one big group for whole TripleO, then we need to make sure that all
projects are reflected appropriately.

I think that the example speaks for everything. It is really crucial to
consider all projects of TripleO and try to assure their quality. That's
what core-members are here for, that's why I see them as experts in
particular project.

I believe that we all want TripleO to succeed,let's find some solutions
how to achieve that.

Thanks
-- Jarda