[openstack-dev] TC Candidacy

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Tue Oct 8 00:03:10 UTC 2013

I hereby announce my candidacy to continue serving on the Technical Committee.

My current qualifications:

  * Two prior terms actively engaged on the TC.
  * Horizon PTL for the Grizzly and Havana cycles.
  * Core Horizon developer since Essex, and Keystone Core since Folsom.
  * Author of the "Core Values" of Horizon: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/intro.html
  * Extensive depth and breadth of knowledge of all of the OpenStack projects and service APIs.
  * Aided both the OpenStack Translation team and the OpenStack UX Group in their initial formations and growth phases.
  * Ongoing advocate for OpenStack to provide a unified and sensible experience for end users.
  * Highly involved in discussions around the future of OpenStack.

Here are what I see as the two most important issues facing OpenStack:

1. Presenting a unified experience for OpenStack, across all programs/projects, all APIs, the dashboard, and the documentation would do a HUGE amount to improve what we offer to our users. The level of frustration that OpenStack's users endure on a regular basis due to our fragmentation is a true pain. I see it as the job of the Technical Committee to provide leadership across projects and to bear in mind the needs of the broader community in ways that individual projects may not have insights into.

2. The ongoing question of the scope of OpenStack is of critical importance. Recent TC discussion and votes on Savanna, Trove, etc. have shown just how unclear people are on the where the "edges" of OpenStack are. This question has no easy answers and I want to continue to try and define those boundaries in the way that best supports the broader ecosystem around OpenStack.

There are myriad other issues such as the engagement between the Foundation Board and the TC, coordination within OpenStack, and more, but I won't go into those now.

Hopefully I've proven myself thus far to be a considered and well-reasoned member of the TC. It would be my honor to consider doing the good work of OpenStack.

Thank you,

    - Gabriel Hurley