[openstack-dev] Reporting framework in OpenStack ...

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Oct 7 14:55:54 UTC 2013

Hey y'all,

I've been looking at the reporting framework being put together in oslo [1] and was wondering about using this for other purposes than guru meditation [2].

In StackTach we generate a number of critical reports around usage, billing, performance and errors. Currently we store these reports as json blobs in the database and expose it through the web API. Clients can fetch, format and distribute the json blobs as they like. Some clients convert them to HTML, some plain text, some are only viewed through a cmdline tool. Different departments have different needs so we just make the summarized data available. We are going to need the same functionality in Ceilometer.

Some of these reports are very computationally expensive. Our biggest requirement is a cron-like service/api that can trigger new events when previous ones have finished (batch window management). Though, we could model this in ceilometer pretty easily I think. I'm just not sure that's the correct application of ceilometer.

We certainly don't want to make a full blown reporting platform, but I was wondering if using this oslo library would be appropriate?

I'd also like to hear what others are doing for their reporting needs currently.

Thanks
-S

[1] https://github.com/openstack/oslo-incubator/tree/master/openstack/common/report
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/guru-meditation-report