[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Undercloud Ceilometer

Ladislav Smola lsmola at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 15:28:22 UTC 2013

Hello,

just a few words about role of Ceilometer in the Undercloud and the work
in progress.

Why we need Ceilometer in Undercloud:

In Tuskar-UI, we will display number of statistics, that will show
Undercloud metrics.
Later also number of alerts and notifications, that will come from
Ceilometer.

But I do suspect, that the Heat will use the Ceilometer Alarms, similar
way it is using it for
auto-scaling in Overcloud. Can anybody confirm?

What is planned in near future
---------------------------------------

The Hardware Agent capable of obtaining statistics:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/monitoring-physical-devices
It uses SNMP inspector for obtaining the stats. I have tested that with
the Devtest tripleo setup
and it works.

The planned architecture is to have one Hardware Agent(will be merged to
central agent code)
placed on Control Node (or basically anywhere). That agent will poll
SNMP daemons placed on
hardware in the Undercloud(baremetals, network devices). Any objections
why this is a bad idea?

We will have to create a Ceilometer Image element, snmpd element is
already there, but we should
test it. Anybody volunteers for this task? There will be a hard part:
doing the right configurations.
(firewall, keystone, snmpd.conf) So it's all configured in a clean and a
secured way. That would
require a seasoned sysadmin to at least observe the thing. Any
volunteers here? :-)

The IPMI inspector for Hardware agent just started:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/ipmi-inspector-for-monitoring-physical-devices
Seems it should query the Ironic API, which would provide the data
samples. Any objections?
Any volunteers for implementing this on Ironic side?

devananda and lifeless had a greatest concern about the scalability of a
Central agent. The Ceilometer
is not doing any scaling right now, but they are planning Horizontal
scaling of the central agent
for the future. So this is a very important task for us, for larger
deployments. Any feedback about
scaling? Or changing of architecture for better scalability?

Thank you for any feedback.

Kind Regards,
Ladislav