[openstack-dev] [nova] RFC: adding "on_shared_storage" field to instance

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Oct 4 14:06:37 UTC 2013

On 10/04/2013 03:31 AM, Cristian Tomoiaga wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Just a note regarding this. I was thinking on using local plus shared
> storage for an instance ( eg. root disk local and another disk as a
> cinder volume ).
> If I understand this correctly, flagging the instance as having local
> storage may not be such a good idea in this particular case right ?
> Maybe root_on_local ?

Here's how I understand it.  (I don't have a lot of practical experience
with OpenStack though, just started working on it in the last couple
months.)

Suppose you store the instance files local to the compute node and have
a cinder volume for block storage.  If your compute node dies and you
need to evacuate the instance the contents of the cinder volume will
persist over the evacuation but the instance rootfs will be regenerated
from the image file.

Chris