[openstack-dev] [Tuskar] Resource Classes and Racks (Wireframes + Concept Discussion)

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Thu Oct 3 18:06:44 UTC 2013

On 01/10/13 00:07, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> Just BTW:
>
> I know that lot of folks were watching the youtube stream
> (http://youtu.be/m3y6uD8yKVQ), so please feel free to give any feedback
> you have to this thread. I believe that this is good way to proceed
> forward and how to make things flexible enough to support various types
> of deployments.
>
> Looking forward to any feedback

my 2c:

* I like LGroup. You can still create an LGroup where all nodes in a
physical rack are in the same LGroup (i.e. what we have now in Rack).
However, it also means you can divide a given physical rack of servers
into two or more LGroups (eg TOR switch setup to give you two rack-local
subnets). Gives much better capacity planning. For Tuskar... currently a
'Rack' is just a list of node_ids ... so the concept should actually map
fine - I think?

* hardware profile on a resource class... nice idea... i like the auto
matching of profiles to particular nodes though obviously thats a while
away yet. In tuskar we'd need to expand the resource class definition
and operations for capturing the hardware profiles. Right now only racks
have this notion of 'aggregate capacity' and resource class doesn't
expose the total aggregate 'total resource capacity' or aggregate 'total
instance capacity'.

marios